Chao Phya Surawongwaiwat
Chao Phraya Surawongwaiwat was born on 3 July 1828, as the eldest son of Chao Phraya Borom Maha Sri Suriwonse (Chuang Bunnag) and Thanpuying Klin. He started as bureaucrat in Rama II reign, then Rama IV promoted him to chargé d'affaires.
In 1860, he followed Phraya Sri Phiphat (Phae Bunnag) the Siamese ambassador to diplomatic mission with France. Then he has been promoted to be the ambassador of France diplomatic mission on 1866.
He became the Chief of Military Commander (Samuhakalahom) in King Rama V reign on 1872, and he served until his death on 17 October 1888.
Siamese people call him ‘Than Chaokhun Kalahom’ or ‘Than Chaokhun Thahan’ and the KMITL adopt this title as the Thai name of the university ‘Phra Jom Klao Chaokun Thahan Ladkrabang Technology Institute’.
Foundation of KMITL
When Chao Phraya Surawongwaiwat (Wone Bunnag) supervised the construction of ‘Pravet Burirom Canal’ at Ladkrabang. He saw that the construction labors tend to gambling, drinking, and fighting. Then he told Khunying Liam Bunnag, the 12th daughter, whom also Ladkrabang villager, that these labors needed education. He then bought 240 hectares of land near the canal intended to establish a local school at Ladkrabang.
After the death of Chao Phraya Surawongwaiwat, Khunying Liam received this land plot. She established a school named ‘Phrot Phittayaphat’ with her husband Luang Phrot Phittayaphat (Phrot Decha) helping. The school taught both primary and secondary education. Knunying Liam gave 167 hectares of the land plot to Ministry of Education, and 32 hectares to Phrot Phittayaphat school. The ministry of education gave the 167 hectares land to Office of Vocational Education Commission (VEC) in order to establish the vocational school as Khunying Liam request. Prof. Phongsak Vorasuntharosot, director of VEC established a school named ‘Chaokhun Thahan college’, teaching engineering and agricultural technology.
Then, the Chaokun Thahan college’s director planned to upgrade the college to the science and technology institute and asked for the Royal permission to use King Mongkut as the new institute name.
In 1971, King Rama IX gave the name to the new institute as ‘Phrajom Klao Institute of Technology’ and granted the royal permission for the institute to use the King Mongkut’s privy seal as the institute’s emblem. The King also granted the university to use orange as the institute’s color, which was the King Mongkut’s birthday color.
After that, the Nakhon Pathom Agricultural school moved to join Ladkrabang with the new name ‘Chaokun Thahan Agricultural School’ and later had been raised to ‘Chaokun Thahan Agricultural College’. Then ‘Nonthaburi Telecommunication College’ also moved and joined to establish the faculty of science. ‘Bang Phlad Civil Engineering College’ also moved and joined to establish the faculty of architecture.
In 1979, when both colleges were moved to establish the faculties, the ‘Phrajom Klao Institute of Technology’ was renamed to ‘King Mongkut Institute of Technology, Chaokhun Thahan Ladkrabang Campus’ the Chaokhun Thahan in the new name honored to Chao Phraya Surawongwaiwat.
In 1979, Prof. Phongsak Worasuntharorot merged the ‘Chaokhun Thahan Agricultural College’ with the technology institute to establish the faculty of agricultural technology.
To this day, the Khunying Liam’s land plot stated of 5 educational places, including;
- King Mongkut Institute of Technology Ladkrabang.
- Phrot Phittayaphat school.
- College of Fine Arts by Fine Arts Department.
- Chird Jirmsilp school.
- Suksa Phattana school.
These educational places teach much personnel for Thailand social development as of the Institute founders wishes.